Saturday, July 19, 2014

Book Review: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Title:         The Name of the Wind
Author:   Patrick Rothfuss
Genre:      Epic Fantasy
Awards:  Quill Awards (2007), Best Book of the Year (2007) Publisher's Weekly, Alex Award (2008)
Rating:     ★ ★ ★ ★ 















Review:


A memory of a book never fades if it’s good but sometimes good memories are just temporary and thus leave you eventually. It’s been 8 months since I finished reading Patrick Rothfuss’ Kingkiller Chronicle( The Name of the Wind). Honestly, my initial reaction and feeling for this book are still the same from the moment I finished this book.

The story starts with Kote as an innkeeper but as Chronicle appeared in the story, Kote revealed himself as the famous Kvothe. And there he starts to share his story with the Chronicle.

Kvothe has been a member of troupe, specifically called Edema Ruh, who moves from place to place. Though he was just a Ruh, he is taught to use sympathy, wizards’ magical talent, by an Arcanist friend. Unfortunately, one night, his family has been murdered. He has seen before his eyes the murderers and realizes that they are the mythical people who are called Chandrian.

Left with no family, he has lived in the streets with thieves; learning the thievery with them. Prioritizing his main goal, he uses his cleverness to enroll to the University but with purpose of knowing more the Chandrian and eventually plan to hunt and kill them.

I was hearing so much rave about this book but didn't take the bite to read it until majority of Blood Song readers I know claim that the latter has similarity with this book. It is obvious that I was so obsessed with Blood Song and that it’s apparently the reason that led me to reading this.

I must admit that I didn’t immediately get into this book until Kvothe as a kid appeared in the book. No doubt, Patrick Rothfuss is a great story teller. The story of Kvothe is narrated by Kote himself. It is one of those proses that likely used during bedtime. Others might have stayed awake while reading but not me. My problem with his writing style is no matter how intense the emotion of his story is, it still gets me sleepy and rather just dream about its instead.

However, what makes me awake is my enthusiasm to know as to how the clever Kvothe turned to Kote – a man who is silently waiting his death. Furthermore, the story promises a rich and beautiful story ahead which I am doubtless I’ll be reading its successors.

Lastly, I  recommend The name of the Wind because story wise, you’ll never regret reading it as it is presently one of the highly acclaimed Epic Fantasy books to date in the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment